Geographical Information System (GIS) Intern
Company: Lake County IL
Posted on: March 16, 2023
Are you looking for a challenging role within an organization that provides rewarding compensation and career growth opportunities? If so, Lake County Government is the place for you. Comprised of nearly 3,000 employees, it is our goal to positively serve the residents of Lake County while working with a purpose. We believe our employees should take pride in the work they accomplish while truly respecting a collaborative work environment.
Lake County Division of Transportation is seeking one GIS summer intern to work from May 15, 2023 until August 4, 2023. Becoming a GIS intern with the Lake County Division of Transportation will allow you to perform beginning technical GIS work in a training capacity, completing tasks such as, inventory gathering along county bikeways and highways, maintaining spatial data, and map creation. Your day will consist of working directly with higher level GIS professionals.
* Perform beginning technical GIS work in a training capacity, completing tasks such as, inventory gathering along county bikeways and highways, maintaining spatial data, and map creation
* Supervision and training are received from a higher-level GIS Analyst
* Work is performed according to explicit instructions or established procedures and methods
Knowledge Skills Abilities and Education Required
* Must have knowledge of geography as applied to concepts and principles of GIS, map projections, and datums, coordinate systems, and cartographic designs
* Must have training and/or skill in using desktop software such as databases, electronic spreadsheets, or other graphics software
* Must have a basic understanding of GIS programming and customization techniques
* Must have a must the ability to make and maintain records of technical computations
* Must have the ability and willingness to learn technical GIS tasks and procedures
* Must have the ability to use GIS equipment, instruments and devices
* Must have the ability to communicate effectively and follow oral and written instructions
* Must have the ability to effectively problem solve
* Must have the ability to work both individually and in a team atmosphere
Education and other Requirements
* Must have completed college level course work in GIS
* Possession of a valid Driver's License, supplemented by a satisfactory driving record
* Must be in good physical condition sufficient to allow field work in all weather conditions and working on bikeways and highways
We have one GIS summer intern role to work within our GIS department within the Division of Transportation. This role is 40 hours a week Monday through Friday. Your start and end time will be determined by your Supervisor.
Visit our Prospective Employee page to get additional information on why you should work for Lake County!
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and may include a pre-employment medical exam.
Lake County is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Keywords: Lake County IL, Waukegan , Geographical Information System (GIS) Intern, Other , Waukegan, Illinois
here to apply!