Assistant Public Defender
Company: Lake County, IL
Posted on: November 17, 2021
Are you looking for a challenging role within an organization
that provides rewarding compensation, an excellent benefit package
and career growth opportunities? If so, Lake County Government is
the place for you. Comprised of nearly 3,000 employees, it is our
goal to positively serve the residents of Lake County while working
with a purpose. We believe our employees should take pride in the
work they accomplish while truly respecting a collaborative work
The Lake County Public Defender's Office represents indigent
criminal defendants charged with crimes punishable by
incarceration. The goal is to assure an excellent quality of legal
representation that is not dependent on the wealth and status of
the accused. Under the direction of the Public Defender, an
Assistant Public Defender represents clients in court for
arraignments, motions, trials, sentencing and all other related
- Provide legal representation, consultation, and advice to
indigent clients charge with criminal offenses.
- Prepare a defense, perform legal research and analyze and apply
legal principles, gather facts, and interview the client and
- Work closely with clients, provide and discuss information,
strategies, and developments.
- Write motions, pleadings, and present legal arguments.
- Prepare legal documentation and represent clients throughout
the legal process.
- Litigate pretrial discovery and pretrial motions.
- Negotiate plea bargains.
- Conduct jury and bench trials.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Thorough knowledge of criminal law and procedure.
- Strong research, analysis, decision-making and negotiation
- Ability to litigate criminal trials with aggressive motions
practice and persuasive oral advocacy.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Knowledge of criminal law, the judicial system, court
practices, and procedures.
- Ability to work under pressure with strong organizational
skills and attention to detail.
- Must have strong computer literacy.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- A Juris Doctor degree from an accredited university.
- Licensed and in good standing to practice law in the State of
IllinoisPHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION:
Requires mainly office work, involving standing or walking some of
the time, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a regular basis, and
high dexterity operating office equipment including a keyboard,
phone, copier, etc. May be in front of a computer monitor for more
than six (6) hours possible. The position requires normal visual
acuity and field of vision and the ability to hear and speak to
understand, respond to and build relationships with a diverse
Lake County offers a competitive salary and benefit package. We
also offer flexible working hours, and a comprehensive wellness and
training program. Visit our Prospective Employee page to get
additional information on why you should work for Lake County!
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful
completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and
may include a pre-employment medical exam.
Lake County is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace
and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Keywords: Lake County, IL, Waukegan , Assistant Public Defender, Other , Waukegan, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!