Lead Network Systems Engineer
The Information Technology Department is responsible for
ensuring the protection of the County's network and mitigates risk
for the County's information and technology while also team
delivering and supporting various technology services to Lake
County including network, storage, account, voice, desktop and
collaboration. If you have a background in Information Technology,
Lake County wants you!
Our Organization and Community
Lake County (pop. 696,535), located in northeastern Illinois
along the shore of Lake Michigan and 30 miles north of Chicago, is
a large, complex and professional organization consisting of more
than 30 departments and divisions that provide services including
law enforcement, water and sewerage treatment, public health,
criminal justice, transportation, public works, land use planning,
building inspections, and emergency management. Our work is
accomplished through the collaborative efforts of approximately
2,600 employees, a $500 million budget, the leadership of an
appointed County Administrator and the governance of a 21-member
elected County Board which is led by a County Board Chair.
Lake County residents enjoy a tremendous quality of life that
provides just the right balance between work and play from
beautiful recreational areas and waterways, outstanding forest
preserves, superb shopping experiences, and other entertainment
venues to top notch schools, and global industry that help make its
economy strong, Lake County promises the comforts of the suburbs
with the pleasure of the city. To learn more about what makes Lake
County special, visit www.VisitLakeCounty.org.
The Lead Network Systems Engineer will be a technical leader who
participates in the research, planning, design and implementation
of our systems and solutions. This role trains, mentors and
supports our systems engineers and leads all major incidents for
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal professional background and qualifications for the
Lead Network Systems Engineer include:
- Coordinate across teams to troubleshoot and drive technical
issue resolution and root cause analysis on production
- Remain current with latest technology advances, systems,
standards, and products.
- Participate as technical lead on projects to ensure compliance
with our strategy and deliver value to our customers.
- Mentor other teammates to help advance their skills and
- Develop and maintain technical documentation and diagrams for
- Develop system performance metrics and add resources where
- Create and maintain hardware inventories and refresh cycles and
participate in budget preparations and planning.
- Knowledge of continuous integration and deployment in
developing and improving automation to manage our
- Manage the customer demand pipeline, monitor environment usage,
and manage current capacity.
- Efficiently manage a variety of concurrent projects
simultaneously as the technical lead.
- Ability to work well with people from different disciplines
with varying degrees of technical experience.
- Strong understanding of test process, strategy and planning
with metrics and status reporting/KPI's.
Education and Experience
Interested candidates should minimally possess the following
education and experience:
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
preferably in IT or a related discipline.
- Also, eight (8) or more years of experience in IT or
progressive IT experience with at least three (2) to five (5) years
in a supervisory or managerial role.
- Minimum of three (3) years designing and implementing
infrastructure related projects in a hybrid environment.
- Candidate should have a strong understanding of ITIL Framework
and be proficient working with our business partners to design and
implement solutions to meet their requirements.
- Valid driver's license required with a satisfactory driving
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the following:
- Microsoft 365 (M365), Teams (including voice) and
- Active Directory/Azure AD including SaaS integrations and
- Cloud storage and compute (Azure, AWS, Oracle) with proven
experience including planning, migration, and monitoring in a
- Hyperconverged storage solutions (Nutanix, Tintri).
- VMware Products (ESX, VCSA, vRO).
- Knowledge of programming languages such as PowerShell or Visual
- Backup solutions (Rubrik) and cloud-based DR.
- Windows Configuration Manager and Intune.
- Certificate administration and advanced group policy.
- Operating systems including Windows and Linux with scripting
experience in these platforms.
- Cisco UCS and networking components.
Lake County is offering a competitive salary (hiring range is
from $76,688 - $91,662+/- (KIT9) commensurate with experience)
along with an excellent and comprehensive benefits package. We also
offer flexible working hours, and a comprehensive wellness and
Interested professionals are encouraged to submit a resume and
cover letter by June 11, 2021 to
Visit our Prospective Employee page to get additional
information on why you should work for Lake County!
To learn more about the department you will be working for,
visit Information Technology. To learn more about other services
Lake County provides and to see some of our employees in action,
visit our website to view videos.
If you need assistance writing your resume, we have some tools
to help you at our Human Resources website.
Any offer of employment is conditioned on the successful
completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and
may include a pre-employment medical exam.
Lake County is committed to being a diverse and inclusive
workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.