Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more
fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing
technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading
businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices,
nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues
serve people in more than 160 countries.
Our location in Abbott Park, IL currently has an opportunity for
a Commercial Litigation Paralegal. The Paralegal is a strong
individual contributor to the Litigation department working towards
successful resolution of commercial litigation matters, having the
potential to substantially impact the Company's business
WHAT YOU'LL DO
* Assists attorneys to resolve routine and moderately complex to
complex legal matters that involve various functional areas or
divisions within Abbott with minimal supervision;
* Independently identifies problems, performs analysis and
proposes solutions to a more experienced paralegal or attorney;
* Possesses solid knowledge of Abbott's businesses supported and
knowledge of the broader business impact;
* Represents Legal Division internally to clients; and
* Reviews invoices associated with payment for services,
ensuring costs are reasonable, in scope of work performed and meet
outside counsel billing guidelines.
* Independently manages discovery for commercial litigation
matters, having a substantial impact to the Company, and performs
all tasks timely: * Assists with initial fact investigation for
potential and pending litigation;
* Prepares and sends out legal holds to the appropriate
employees within the company and manages legal hold compliance and
* Schedules and attends witness interviews;
* Identifies relevant document and data sources, coordinates
collection of company documents for discovery and other
* Assists in deposition preparation of company witnesses by
analyzing the information and determining relevancy; and
* Assists counsel with trial preparation.
* Responds to subpoenas and requests for information with
minimal supervision, including identification, collection, review
and preparation of documents for production.
* Manages outside counsel, outside paralegals and vendors and
eDiscovery vendor budget for assigned matters.
* Provides support on periodic and special projects.
* Executes core job responsibilities in a timely manner.
* Assigned matters generally have a significant impact on
business activities and operations.
* Interacts across all levels of management within the
* No direct department budget responsibility; must however
operate within budget. Develops estimates for outside counsel fees
for assigned legal matters with supervision from more experienced
paralegals and/or attorneys.
* Requires discretion, independent judgment and critical
* Requires strong computer, communication, writing,
organizational and project management skills and ability to
multitask in a demanding legal environment.
* Demonstrates strong leadership competencies.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU'LL BRING
* Bachelor's Degree and relevant legal education (Paralegal
* Generally, 2+ years of paralegal experience, including direct
experience in commercial litigation.
* Intellectual property litigation experience is a plus but is
* Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced
* Attention to detail, good judgment, and solid organization
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great
career. We offer:
* Training and career development, with onboarding programs for
new employees and tuition assistance
* Financial security through competitive compensation,
incentives and retirement plans
* Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental,
vision, wellness and occupational health programs
* Paid time off
* 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
* The stability of a company with a record of strong financial
performance and history of being actively involved in local
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life
to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse
opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength
to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer,
committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and