Company: Rosalind Franklin University
Location: North Chicago
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science seeks a
General Counsel to join their highly collaborative senior
leadership team. The General Counsel, who reports to the President
of the University, is the lead attorney for and senior legal
advisor to the university and its health clinics. The General
Counsel is charged with providing legal advice and support to the
University, through its Board of Trustees and authorized
individuals (e.g. President, Provost, Deans, Vice Presidents, and
other administrators, faculty and staff). This position also
oversees, coordinates and supervises the compliance function as
well as professional staff.
Who We Are
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (RFU) is a
graduate health sciences university committed to serving the
population through the interprofessional education of health and
biomedical professionals and the discovery of knowledge dedicated
to improving wellness. The university embodies the spirit of
inquiry and excellence modeled by its namesake Dr. Rosalind
Franklin, whose Photo 51 was crucial to solving the structure of
Today, the university's colleges continue Dr. Franklin's legacy
through rigorous academics, pioneering research, and innovative
community service. RFU is nationally recognized for its research in
areas including neuroscience, brain-related diseases, inherited
disorders, proteomics, cancer cell biology and immunology, cardiac
resuscitation, and gait and balance. Our unique interprofessional
education model allows students to learn about, from and with each
other in a variety of settings, including our simulation labs, the
community outreach programs, and through partnerships with area
hospitals and clinics.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides legal counsel and advice to the university and its
health clinics through their respective governing boards and
authorized employees and agents, and represents the university and
its health clinics as its attorney.
- Provides leadership, direction, and integration of compliance
activities to fulfill university needs and city, state and federal
- Maintains a working familiarity of the common legal issues
facing institutions of higher education, research institutions,
nonprofit entities, and healthcare delivery entities.
- Manages the outsourcing of legal services to law firms and
collaborates and coordinates with those law firms in the rendering
of legal services, as deemed appropriate.
- Maintains legal budget and manages the payment of bills for
outsourced legal services and other items relating to the Office of
- Reviews and provides legal advice regarding draft and existing
contractual provisions and corporate policies.
- Negotiates, prepares, reviews, approves and interprets complex
contracts and other legal instruments involving risk or
significance to the University and its health clinics.
- Establishes working guidelines to include internal operating
policies, intake procedures, work priorities, turnaround times,
quality standards, and other operational benchmarks.
- Coordinates with risk management personnel regarding litigation
and other matters that are potentially within the scope of coverage
in the corporate insurance portfolio.
- Maintain professional growth and development through seminars,
workshops, and professional affiliations to keep abreast of latest
developments in college and university law and in other related
- Maintains and oversees the contract maintenance online
- Performs duties of the corporate Assistant Secretary for the
university and its health clinics.
- Supervises staff, who assist in fulfilling the duties of the
Office of General Counsel.
- Perform such other duties as may be delegated by the
Required Education, Experience, & Licensure
- JD or similar law degree.
- License to practice law in the State of Illinois.
- 10 years of experience in the practice of law. Extensive
relevant experience as in-house legal counsel for a corporation or
in a subject matter of particular value to the university may
substitute for a portion of the otherwise required 10 years of
experience in the practice of law.
- Must receive satisfactory results from a background check.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Commitment to the highest ethical and professional standards;
personal and professional integrity beyond reproach; unquestioned
discretion in maintaining confidentiality.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in public and
private settings; ability to translate complex legal issues for a
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, able to collaborate
with a diverse population
- Excellent skills in legal research.
- Working knowledge of tort, contract, and employment law.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a team, with respect for
- Rational and reasonable conflict-management and mediation
- Experience practicing law as in-house counsel for an
institution of higher education.
Typical Physical Demands & Working Conditions
- Selected candidate must have the mental and physical
capabilities to perform the essential functions of the position
with or without reasonable accommodations.
EOE, Including Disability / Vets
Keywords: Rosalind Franklin University, Waukegan , General Counsel, Other , North Chicago, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!