Company: The Independence Center
Posted on: January 11, 2021
Experienced Prep Cook (Part-time)Independence Center is a
nonprofit healthcare organization specializing in mental health
services. The Independence Center has been providing psychosocial
rehabilitation, group and individual therapy, case management,
vocational, and crisis services to adults with chronic mental
health needs in Lake County for over 30 years. Independence Center
employees are an essential asset in improving the lives of the
individuals we serve. Position Summary:Independence Center is
seeking a part-time cook to join our team. Our ideal candidate will
demonstrate professionalism, attention to detail, and exhibit
enthusiasm and willingness to learn.ObjectiveProvide quality
service and attention to detail within the scope of the nutritional
needs of the persons served. Demonstrate exceptional interpersonal
skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective
relationships with all staff and members.Duties
- Adhere to all sanitary regulations governing the handling,
preparation & serving of food.
- Prepares a variety of dishes and other food items for members,
guests, staff, including special meals for members with restricted
- Prepare, or oversee the preparation of all foods necessary in
connection with lunch, snacks, parties, and meetings.
- Obtain food supplies for the next meal. Clean worktables, meat
- Assumes 100% responsibility for the quality of products
- Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion
sizes, cooking methods, quality standards, and kitchen rules,
policies, and procedures.
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line
stations to assure a smooth service period.
- Portions food products prior to cooking according to standard
portion sizes and recipe specifications.
- Maintains a clean and sanitary workstation
- Follows proper plate presentation for all dishes.
- Prepare & cook foods according to standardized recipes in the
correct amount needed. Prepare main entre, vegetables, and utilize
- Be efficient in operating cooking equipment. Report need for
equipment repair to dietary management.
- Dishwashing required.
- Remain current in food preparation, modified diets, sanitation
& meal service.
- Assist in inventorying and storing in-coming food and supplies,
- Ensure all food procedures are followed in accordance with
established policies. Wash and clean utensils/dishes. Sweep and mop
floors as directed. Keep work areas clean, dry, and free of
hazardous equipment, supplies, garbage, etc.
- Handles, stores, and rotates all products properly.
- Follows the implemented checklist for kitchen stations. Assists
others in their duties when available.
- Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Culinary certificate or degree preferred.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug test and background
- Restaurant experience preferred.
- Maintains a neat, professional appearance.
- Able to read, write, speak, and understand English.
- Ability to make independent decisions, follow instructions, and
to accept constructive criticism.
- Ability to deal tactfully with personnel, members, visitors,
government agencies/personnel, and the general public.
- Patience, politeness, and jovial personality.
- Willing to work with members based on skill level at which they
are currently functioning.
- Must be able to push, pull, move, and/or lift a minimum of 25
pounds up to a max of 50 pounds to a minimum height of 4 feet
unassisted and be able to push, pull move, and/or carry such weight
a minimum distance of 50 feet.The Independence Center is an Equal
Opportunity Employer, and we prohibit discrimination in all phases
of employment on the basis of an individual's race, color, sex,
age, pregnancy, national origin, religion, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic
information and any other classifications protected by federal,
state and local law. 9:30 am until 1:30 pm or10:00 am until 2
Keywords: The Independence Center, Waukegan , Prep Cook, Hospitality & Tourism , Waukegan, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!