Lead Backup/Data Protection Engineer
Company: CDK Global
Posted on: May 6, 2021
Hiring Manager: Joyeeta Mitra Recruiter: Subha Mohan Grade
Level: GRADE 42 Summary:The Global Hosting Compute & Storage
Service Design team at CDK Global is responsible for designing
relevant, frictionless and watertight infrastructure Services for
the Compute/Hypervisor, SAN/storage, backup/data protection, and
Operating System portfolio of services provided within our global
data centre and cloud locations.We are currently seeking a backup
engineering lead to help define and design a footprint of backup
services & technologies located across more than a dozen different
global geographies.Backup technologies include Veritas Netbackup,
EMC Data Domains, Rubrik, Redgate SQL Backup and native OS
solutions.Operating environments include AIX LPARs, Linux/Windows
bare metal servers, iSeries, and Windows/Linux virtual environments
under ESX.This is an opportunity to lead a core part of our global
infrastructure through generation of recommendations and thought
leadership. As the service owner you will be accountable for
architecture, continual improvement, cost and vendor management,
which will ultimately lead us towards providing a highly available,
reliable, serviceable, secure & efficient environment for our
Internal and external customers.This is a senior lead role
reporting to the Director of Compute & Storage Service Design. Key
duties and responsibilities:
- Be the design authority and company SME for the global backup
and recovery environments.
- Be project orientated in your approach, whilst keeping a keen
eye on standards, next generation architecture, solution
improvements and cost analysis.
- Advise on technology trends and standards.
- Guide technical staff on assignments to achieve appropriate
outcome and deliverables.
- Drive projects and initiatives for the backup engineers to
- Provide support and analysis of complex problems. Provide 3rd
level support as required. Provide mentorship to engineers and
- Vendor and product analysis/selection. Possess good commercial
awareness, with the ability to understand supplier proposals and
promote cost effective solutions.
- Ensure operating standards and procedures are defined and
adhered to by others.
- Identify opportunities for infrastructure and process
- Deliver technology evaluations, Proof of concepts, and solution
- Define and deliver on capacity planning analysis and monthly
- As the service/technology owner, work with the Service
Transitional and Service Operations teams to deliver well defined
and adhered to solutions and process.
- Function as a liaison between infrastructure teams and other
teams within the company, which may include direct or indirect
contact with our customers.
- Any and all additional job duties as defined by hosting
- Has 7+ years' experience, having held a senior technical level
position for at least 2 of those.
- Not only should the candidate have extensive experience of
backup technologies, they should also be able to demonstrate &
articulate the needs to the business of rigorous backup and
recovery processes and Disaster Recovery principals.
- Given the importance of the backup, recovery and availability
needs of customer data, the candidate should be aware of the
processes and rigor required to ensure data availability during
normal operations, High Availability failovers and Disaster
- With a significant on-prem and cloud environments, candidates
should have an in-depth understanding of commercial backup
offerings of the major vendors. For example Rubrik or Veritas
- Have experience of providing data protection for databases such
as SQL Server, Oracle and PostgreSQL.
- Be able to demonstrate architectural and leadership
- Demonstrates strong written and verbal communication skills,
being able to articulate their ideas and thoughts to senior
management. Demonstrate interpersonal and negotiating skills, being
able to influence internal & external stakeholders to achieve
- Has experience in creating processes and procedural
- Demonstrates exceptional problem solving skills.
- Providing in-depth investigations and root cause analysis of
incidents and outages
- Provide strategic direction and ensure the delivery of
technical based projects
- As experience of deploying new platforms and improvements to
- Designing complex solutions and providing architectural
- Have a flexible approach to your working hours whilst part of a
global organisation. Work effectively with all levels of company
staff; must be a self-starter, and work well in a team
- Keen to learn and develop new skills as part of continual
- Knowledge of hosting/SaaS/ASP environments. Experience of large
scale multi location data centre environments.Desirable
skills/Abilities (but not essential):
- Have a working knowledge of data protection practices such as
GDPR & CCPA
- Understand the tiers of long term archive storage solutions
available, both within the Data Centre and the major cloud
- The role is aligned to ITIL Service Design, so experience of
being responsible of these deliverables in a design, build, run
organisational structure would be advantageous.
- Develop and maintain solution roadmaps.
- Has experience of solution cost management.
- Having experience of hybrid compute environments is highly
beneficial, together with an understanding of AWS offerings.
- Have been involved in defining backup/recovery processes, as
well as generating supporting collateral against audit
requirements.Note: Thsi Req is created help in teh application
pool. If selected you will be moved through original hiring req.CDK
Global knows you have passions outside of work. You have family,
friends, sporting events, and lots of things going on. That's why
we offer a comprehensive benefits package to not only take care of
you but your family as well. All of our benefits are effective the
first day of employment including 401K matching, paid time off to
re-energize, donate your time to volunteer in your community, and
tuition reimbursement to name a few.At CDK, we pride ourselves on
having a diverse workforce. We value and celebrate the uniqueness
of individuals and the different perspectives they provide. We
offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color,
religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual
orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age,
marital status, or protected veteran status.
Keywords: CDK Global, Waukegan , Lead Backup/Data Protection Engineer, Engineering , Barrington, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!